The NBA’s coaching carousel began to move moments after the end of the 2022-23 regular season.
At least some teams have already announced that they would be leaving their current coach in hopes of finding a new voice that can lead to positive results, like Mike Brown did with the Sacramento Kings or like Jacque Vaughn helped to pilot the ship with the Brooklyn Nets after his mid-season tenure.
Here’s the latest news on managerial and general manager changes in the league, as well as the alleged candidates and applicants for each position.
- The Rockets agreed to an agreement with former Celtics coach Ime Udoka to make him their next head coach. ESPN reported Monday. Udoka coached the Celtics for a season before being suspended by the team for the 2022-23 season after an investigation found he had broken several team policies. Udoka replaces Stephen Silas, whose option for the 2023–24 season was turned down by the team.
Detroit piston (HC)
Toronto Raptors (HC)
- Warrior’s Assistant Kenny Atkinson
- Bucks assistant Charles Lee
- Suns Assistant Kevin Young
- Kings assistant Jordy Fernández
- Grizzlies Assistant Darko Rajakovic
- heat assistant Chris Quinn
- WNBA Coach of the Las Vegas Aces Becky Hammon
- Assistant to the Raptors Adrian Griffin
- Former Celtics coach I am Udoka (hired by the Rockets)
- Former NBA player and current ESPN analyst JJ Redick (allegedly interviewed for a job)
PERSONNEL CHANGES (head coach and managing director)
- Mike Budenholzer was fired by the team after five seasons as the Bucks coach. Milwaukee’s decision to let go of Budenholzer came a week after they were upset in the first round of the NBA playoffs despite having the league’s best record in the regular season. The Bucks have had at least one top-three finish in the Eastern Conference every season Budenholzer coached, including in 2021 when they won the NBA title.
- Dwane Casey resigned from his post as head coach of the Pistons following the five-season finale of the regular season. The 2017-18 Coach of the Year will remain in Detroit and have a role in the team’s front office.
- Stephen Silas’ option for the 2023-24 season was not taken and ended his tenure as head coach of the Rockets after three seasons.
- Nick Nurse was released by the Raptors after coaching the team for five seasons, including when they won the NBA championship in the 2018-19 season.
- Tommy Sheppard was fired from his role as the team’s general manager after four seasons. Washington has missed the playoffs for the past two years.
- Monty Williams was fired as head coach after four seasons that included a trip to the NBA Finals in the 2020-21 season.
Washington Commanders sold to Sixers co-owner Josh Harris, Magic Johnson
2023 NBA Playoff Round Rankings: Updated Schedule, Results, Dates
2023 NBA Championship odds: Celtic’s new favorite to win the title
Lakers vs. Warriors: Prediction, Game 6 Odds, Schedule and TV Channel
Zach Edey and Kobe Bufkin are among the 10 Big Ten contenders to watch at the NBA Draft Combine
Buy Phoenix Suns Chris Paul, Deandre Ayton?
Suns’ bet on the Durant-Booker tandem doesn’t pay off
Did the Celtics win Game 6 or did the 76ers give it away?
How Austin Reaves, the “Hillbilly Kobe”, convinced LeBron James
Get more from the National Basketball Association Follow your favorites for updates on games, news and more